-
Cal Fire is now operating its response to the Big Sur Timber Fire from Cal State Monterey Bay. And, President Donald Trump has recognized a Santa Cruz teen lifeguard at the White House.
-
The Timber Fire in Big Sur has exceeded 2,000 acres, with four zones now evacuated. And, Central Coast leaders continue to oppose offshore oil drilling.
-
Our weekly news roundup includes an update on the cyclospora outbreak, stream health monitoring, new housing development in Monterey, and more.
-
California officials are celebrating tools that help keep people safe during wildfires. And, the process to rename Cesar Chavez Library and Park in Salinas is underway.
-
Monterey County teenagers are at risk of losing access to health information programs after federal funding cuts. And, Cal Fire firefighters won’t be getting a salary boost.
-
Homelessness numbers in Santa Cruz County are the lowest they’ve been in over a decade, and the cause of a fire that started yesterday in San Benito County is currently under investigation.
-
California's civilian firefighting fleet became the largest in the world after the delivery of 2 Fire Hawk helicopters to Sacramento on Thursday. And, water contact advisories were posted at Pacific Grove and Monterey Municipal Beach this week after sampling revealed elevated bacteria levels.
-
State Fire Marshal Daniel Berlant says climate change, population growth and tree mortality has made the concept of a fire season out of date. “It really has become a fire year,” he says.
-
A vegetation fire resulted in evacuations in Pajaro, Monterey County
-
Last winter's rain has helped reduce fire risk so far, but a Cal Fire environmental scientist says danger will continue to increase as the hot, dry weather continues.